Friday, August 10, 2007

7.5 on Richter Scale

Honestly speaking, I am a bit more excited and overwhelmed than most of my friends and colleagues, after undergoing the experience of "feeling" an earthquake of magnitude 7.5 on the Richter scale, thereby being classified as "Major". It struck around midnight, i.e. exactly this time yesterday, and I was sitting in the same manner, at the same place, looking at some website of least importance. All of a sudden the room started moving, not vigorously, however with considerable speed to make me realize after 3 or 4 seconds that it was an earthquake. Then it slowed down, but the movement continued, this time in a swaying fashion. And I could hear creaking noises from near the wall. Picked up the receiver and called up SC, and we both agreed to leave the apartment immediately.

Probably this is called panic: I was not sure what all to take with me. So i just picked up my cell phone and the door key, wore my shoes and left my room, which is on the 20th floor of this building. There was some commotion outside, and I could see few people (probably belonging to the Middle East) who were not sure whether to take the elevator or where to go down from. Elevators were definitely to be avoided, so we took the stairs. There were people all over, and I was suddenly scared of a stampede. (Later I realized that lot many people are required for a stampede to happen). Anyway, strangely, there was no indication of the level number from the fifth floor onwards. I tried to make an exit from the staircase and saw that its level 1 above the ground, so one more floor to go. There were a bunch of people, with a dark man and his girl with a towel wrapped around her body.


Finally, we reached the ground floor, and left the apartment. Found some of my friends there - SC, SKT, others. (Pic: Outside the building, at around 1215 hrs. Normally at this hour, no one is seen here, but yesterday was an exception.) All of us were pretty much overwhelmed. The next one hour was not of much consequence, except everyone narrating what he or she was doing when the earthquake happened. Now that we all were out, we were not sure when to go back, or whether to go back at all. There were loads of questions in my mind: What's the source of this earthquake? What's the magnitude? How are things elsewhere? Is there an aftershock coming? If yes, when? When would it be safe enough to go inside? The hotel authorities informed that they are in touch with the Meteorological department, and its still not safe to go inside.

So we decided to play some pool, and walked down to Pasar Festival, only to find the pool bar closing down. Bought some bottles of water, and came back. Incidentally, no one there were aware that there had been an earthquake. That's the difference how things are felt at the ground floor (where the pool bar was) or at a height of above 15 floors (where I and my friends were). It was around 0130 hrs and the crowd had thinned down. The hotel authorities informed that the Met Dept had confirmed that there won't be any further tremors or quakes, atleast this night, hence it's safe to go back.

Hence we came up, and I entered my room to find it exactly as I had left it, just with the clock which is placed on the top of my TV, displaced by around 4 inches to the left. I was inquisitive to find where the creaking noises came from, so checked up the walls and ceilings, but couldn't see anything.

Even though I went to sleep at around 0200, subconsciously I kept thinking about another one coming. Later I heard that others have felt the same.

(Pic: Crack in the wall, half covered by a torn wallpaper. Taken on the 18th floor of my office building, rumor has it that the crack was caused by yesterday's quake. However, no one knows for sure.)

The following things to remember if it strikes again:

- To carry my wallet with me. Otherwise I would be left with no money.
- To carry my cell phone.
- If time permits, to carry my passport.
- Have an 'earthquake-buddy', who will be the first mutual point-of-contact if there's an earthquake. (So that both are aware, and not missing anything out. A 5 second call should be enough.)

Labels:

Comments on "7.5 on Richter Scale"

 

post a comment